PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitude recovery?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2017, 23:28
JimEli

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
FWIW.

I was slightly shocked reading some of the responses here, reference the unusual attitude recovery technique. After researching the topic further, I notice many references seem to confuse an Unusual Attitude Recovery procedure with an Inadvertent IMC (IIMC) encounter. The distinction is important, because IIMC does not necessarily imply an unusual attitude, and an unusual attitude doesn’t always imply IMC.

One deals with a potential, imminent or apparent loss of control, while the other assumes control is not in doubt, and is an aid to prevent an upset.

The typically quoted unusual attitude recovery procedure is more often the lengthier IIMC encounter procedure. It can be found in the FAA Helicopter Handbook, Chapter 12:
1. Attitude
2. Heading
3. Power
4. Airspeed
5. Trim

IMHO, the appropriate unusual attitude recovery procedure (the immediate action), is more akin to:
1. Attitude
2. Power
3. Trim
After regaining control, proceed if necessary with the detailed and lengthier IIMC procedure.

It appears many current US Army references combine the two procedures. Search for an older copy of an Army TC and you’ll find the distinction. I know, because I helped write many an older procedure.

“To recover from an unusual attitude, correct the pitch and bank attitude, adjust power, and trim the aircraft as required to return to level flight. All components are changed simultaneously with little lead of one over the other. The displacement of controls used in recoveries may be greater than those for normal flight. Care must be taken in making adjustments as straight-and-level flight is approached. The instruments must be observed closely to avoid overcontrolling.”

Some may call this splitting hairs. Point taken.