PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pipistrel Virus SW100 vs kids' inheritance?
Old 7th Oct 2017, 19:45
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Floppy Link
How about an LAA permit then. Mine's 600kg. Two up full fuel and 3.5 hours at 120kt. 'Er indoors loves it.

Fantastic, at last someone who has actual experience on the type! I didn't know that operating on the LAA permit system is possible and I can't find the aircraft on their accepted type listing.

120 knots seems a bit slow, when I've seen claims ranging from 135 to 145 at 75% power i.e. 26" at 5000 rpm. My basis for comparison between the various fibreglass aircraft types sporting the 912ULS is the recommended 65% cruise power at 26", 4800 rpm and I'm mainly interested to know the indicated airspeed straight and level not above 2000' QNH.

Perhaps you don't have a CS/VP prop, which might account for only 120? Perhaps you opted for the very nice smooth and economical 912UL?

Do you use the negative 5 degrees reflex flap setting in the cruise and if so what speed difference does that make, compared with zero flap?

Does the aircraft have wet wings, which would push me towards having to use avgas exclusively? I prefer the idea of the tank not being part of the wing structure, thereby avoiding potential long-term damage from ethanol in mogas.

Finally, does your aircraft have a cockpit heater and/or demister? Thanks.

Last edited by Colibri49; 7th Oct 2017 at 23:34.