PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44 overhaul options Europe
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2017, 15:59
Pytlak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I am based in Czech Republic as my registration correctly shows at each post. I would never speculate about currency conversions, you typically lose money on each conversion as far as I know. I also know about the map of Robinson dealers but my qestion has different reasoning. First, there is significant work with dissasembly, assembly and both way shipping. I think that the savings might come from this as flying practically anywhere in Europe comes at the cost of AVGAS at this stage (nearing 12 years with more than 500hrs left to 2200hrs). And it is fun (crating and shiping is not). That is the reason I am looking for European workshop. On the other side, overhauling a helicopter is a very delicate task and I would like to make sure that the quality of work is very close to RHS. And that is why I ask here as I might get a recommendation helping me to discover, which of those many European RHS dealers is able to deliver top quality work and has enough experience. That is something you do not find on the map. Another advantage might be time to overhaul as the shipping takes time, which can be saved.
So far I tried to contact three companies. I have got one reaction only and am still waiting for the quote (so far one week). the other company did not react at all and the third company was able to find my email after I gave them a call but that is about it. So it seems that I still have not found the right one. I assume that if you have a working business with plenty of experience (let us say tens of helicopters overhauled), it should be pretty easy to react to such a quote enquiry. The helicopter in question is pretty easy - eligible for first overhaul, in pretty good shape, mostly flown by one pilot, all bulletins done, bladder tanks installed, no upgrades needed or required.

It starts looking that there is probably no one doing the overhauls here in Europe and everyone sending the machines back to US. That is quite strange with so many units sold. One would believe that there is market big enough to make a decent living for two or three good European shops doing overhauls.
The problem might be in RHS. Maybe the overhaul kit price versus overhaul done by RHS is strongly in favor of RHS (i.e. not enough margin for any serious shop to engage in this business when you need to compete with the manufacturer).

So, please, if you know about any EU shop that does R44 overhauls (let us say more than three or five per year), I would be grateful for a tip.