PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch 4
Thread: Monarch 4
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2017, 12:16
earnest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infrequentflyer789, I take your points completely and I hope the Monarch pilots will bear this in mind before rushing into anything, as there does seem to be plenty of work out there that may be quickly available but which may not be totally suitable in then medium term.

My response though was purely in reply to dBoy's comments and obvious disappointment at seeing a particular group of pilots getting what seemed to him to be an unfair preference and sympathy vote. (I also get his point, by the way). My post was purely in answer to why an out of work Monarch pilot would be considered for a "fast track" by any employer looking to fill some vacancies in quick time with decent quality aircrew. That's not to say dBoy and other pilots wishing to progress to these companies are not of an equal standard or maybe even better, but good business sense recognises the easiest and most efficient options that carry the least risk.

As for taking the wrong job too quickly, a lot of these potential employers are fairly blue chip, UK operators, like VA, Easy, Jet 2, Thomson, even Ryanair. So a pilot wouldn't go too far wrong working for any of these. The overseas companies have been advertising through the recruitment agencies for quite some time so if pilots like dBoy had wanted to move on to any of them then there was nothing stopping them and certainly no preferential treatment for any pilot group.

(I say "blue chip companies". So was Monarch, once. And Swissair and Sabena. Air France joining with KLM? BA with Iberia? Pan Am, TWA? Even EK needed a bail out, or was it the whole of Dubai that needed a rescue from their neighbours? Now Qatar has become a 5-star political pariah. The lesson is that there are no guarantees in this business).