PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for mil pilots: DIY IFR approach legality in emergencies?
Old 7th Oct 2017, 07:12
FL235

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, you may have to do it all yourself, and rely on local knowledge.. Came back to Kiriwina, Trobriand Is., once from a photo run way out to the east to find a heavy, but heavy, rainstorm sitting over the airtrip. Well, that's what you have island reserve for, so started orbiting the island, no point going anywhere else as the only fuel was at Kiriwina. An hour later things were getting interesting as the storm showed no sign of moving or abating. We could see the island outside the storm, so forming a mental map of the tracks near the strip I picked a point on the track nearest to the strip to start a turn to the strip heading. Points in my favour - nothing higher than a palm tree in the area, and a B29 strip made with coronous surface. May flood, but never gets soft or slippery and 10,000 Ft long by 300 ft wide (from memory) So run in at 100 ft., on strip heading, look down on both sides, check we could both see cones going past, set the DG accurately, go back into the clear, wheels and flaps down, do it again. Cones established, close throttles and hold heading. Absolutely nil forward vis in the rain. And then there was the time coming into POM when the tower advised that a storm would beat me to it. Storm coming from the west, me from the east. Bootless Bay marker, B17 wreck still visible, a dead heat at the outer marker aerial. But there's a service track from the strip to that installation, flat ground. So tuck that track under the side window at about 30 ft. and wait for the tarmac to show up. Call from the tower "Where are you?" "Ön the ground, on the strip" "That's good, can't see you, strip's closed". The good old days?