PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The REAL RED BARON
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2017, 23:45
NutLoose

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Interesting post on the flypast forums quoted in full

This footage was filmed by Tony Fokker, a prolific movie maker during his adult life. Most of what you see was staged for filming. Of note is the segment that has Fokker pointing out the bullet holes in the cowl of the downed aircraft. Not many civilians were given access to the front lines. Yes, Goering is in this film along with other notables. The original copies of this footage are held in the Hugh Wynne archive of the University of Texas, Dallas. While copies can be purchased on DVD, they are, of course, not to be copied or distributed the way this one has. No wonder archives have difficulties.

Regards
John
Eric,

1970's, surprisingly we covered Rotary as well as Radial, we were one of the last engine courses at St Athans to do pistons, ( 4 SofTT ) it was all part of the introduction to piston engine design... strange as it may seem today .
The shed was full of piston engines including cut away sleeve engines etc.... fast forward to the modern times and I was looking over a Spitfire being worked on and I commented oooohh it has a hot pot in it, I have never seen that in real life.. and they were dumbfounded and didn't know what one was lol.....
Don't forget, at the time the RAF were still operating piston aircraft, Hastings etc were on their last legs but still in service, and also the likes of the Pembroke, so they needed to train you for any future possible type and to do that they had to go through design and differences in thereof.
We were even taught prop swinging which I thought was a mugs game and have never done it since, the opportunity has come up and I have declined LOL. We even had various aircraft on the station such as a Pup I think...
Heck I even got roped into being on a running team when they ran the ME410, Focke Wulf 190 and Kawasaki Ki-100-1b "Tony" etc for the BBC to record the engine sounds...all sadly now silent at Cosford.. fascinating times and was I was glad to have been apart of what will never probable be repeated.

Last edited by NutLoose; 7th Oct 2017 at 00:05.