PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2017, 23:43
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, Ian has me banged to rights, and I can but reassure him that we Scorpios are greatly misunderstood and put upon by a cruel world. One must respect the protective instincts of a loving father though, and anyway Mrs C would have much to complain of should he relent and allow of such a union.

So, thank you Danny for your kind though somewhat premature greeting, and I join Ian in raising a glass to you and all our fellow crew room members in wishing you all good health and cheer.

harrym, your tale of a whispering giant in far away places and so long ago reminds us all that the past is a far off place where they did things differently. The RAF and USAF presence alone for the opening of a 6000' runway must have come close to doubling its cost, especially at the loss of a Sunderland and the near loss of a Vulcan! The six o'clock swill was a uniquely antipodean device that suited brewers and church alike. The former sold as much product as they would have with rather more liberal opening hours, while cutting down on staff hours and thus costs. The latter ensured that families were reunited by early evening providing that the prodigal fathers survived the homeward commute in their rather tired and emotional states. The last duties of the staff before putting up the shutters was to turn a high pressure hose on the tiled walls and concrete floors. Hygiene above all else!