PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbrakes on a Cessna 172...
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2001, 09:04
Plap

Lightbulb Speedbrakes on a Cessna 172...

A thought popped into my head about forced landings...

For the sake of discussion, let's assume a 'best' worst case scenario: engine failure at a reasonable altitude (say, 5000' AGL). Landing site chosen (a field or a lake, you pick). Engine out / descent checklists completed... and an experienced pilot.

When arresting the rate of descent before touchdown over uncertain (bumpy, pitted, etc)terrain, what would be the effect if the front-seaters not only unlatched the doors (as in the checklist), but also pushed the doors into the wind a la speedbrakes?

Let's assume that both doors are opened equally so there is no induced yaw. Would the opening of the doors slow forward velocity enough that, combined with the arrest in the rate of descent during the "flare," impact forces would be minimized? Or, perhaps over water, could this possibly slow the airplane to the point that it more nearly 'falls' into the water at a low speed from a very low altitude, reducing the possibilty that the aircraft will cartwheel when it goes into the drink?

Just something to think about. I know that it's not practical, and it goes against the first rule in an emergency - "Fly the airplane!"

I just wanted to hear other pilots' opinions on this...

---... ...--
-Plap

[This message has been edited by Plap (edited 12 June 2001).]