PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Bell product - Bell V280
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2017, 14:52
SplineDrive

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CTR
Sultan is correct, but even on conventional airplanes and helicopters the aircraft structure provides almost zero system protection from bird strikes. If the structure was strong enough to withstand a 2 lb bird at Vmax and shield all the systems underneath, the aircraft would be to heavy to leave the ground. Instead critical systems are installed in locations behind massive components (like gearboxes) or sacrificial components (like non critical avionics boxes). Where this cannot be accomplished redundant systems are employed with adequate separation to prevent a common mode event effecting multiple systems.
It's still easy to get surprised by bird strike testing... I saw what a 2.2 lb bird did to rotor controls and spinner supports at only 75 knots. The V-280 in the conversion corridor can go fast enough in near VTOL mode for a bird to do real damage. Obviously not a show stopper like CTR points out, but it's not a requirement you just hand wave away on a production vehicle.

And CTR, I agree, I like the clarity of the skin-less helicopter as well. Got up close to an S-64 once... nothing hidden anywhere and it's beautiful for it.