PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitude recovery?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2017, 14:09
fijdor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he had been rolled in his 206 in turbulence somewhere in the highlands
Talk about unusual attitude, many years ago up in the Arctic during the Uranium rush I was coming back to the Inuit village we were working out of for fuel, the village was situated on the sea at the bottom of the valley and we were working up on the plateau, probably 1500 ft high, so coming back toward the village in a B206 on floats at about 150 ft above ground and about 80/90 mph with barely any fuel left i was just lowering the collective to pass the ridge and start coming down toward the village when I was hit by an updraft coming up from the valley and the 206 was flipped upside down in a matter of milliseconds and I am looking at the Inuit village from the skylight window and falling upside down, my reaction (reflexes) was to pull pitch and push right pedal. The next thing I remember was landing by the drums for fuel. Done for the day. Till this day, still don't remember which way the aircraft went right side up but it did.
From that time on coming back for fuel, I would slow down to a crawl and face the ridge at a 90deg angle not 45 deg and high speed before getting over it and down.

JD