PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The REAL RED BARON
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2017, 10:54
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
The exact wording from Browns combat report is as follows.

"Went back again and dived on a pure red triplane which was firing on Lieut May. I got a long burst into him and he went down vertical and was observed to crash by Lieut Mellersh and Lieut May."

The artillery report says

"German shot down by 53 Battery AFA this morning was famous Baron Von Richthofen."

On the subject of shoulder straps I would suggest that they might not worn in combat as they would restrict the pilots ability to turn to look over the shoulder. They appear to be very wide.

On the subject of the crash his facial injuries were described as superficial by the examining medical officers so a heavy crash is unlikely. This is supported by there being no damage to the recovered machine guns and the wings being intact. It was a collision with a wurzel heap that brought about a sudden stop.

On the return to Germany of his body he was buried in the Invaliden Cemetery Berlin.
The intention had been to bury him in Schweidnitz Silesia but this did not happen.

The life of Von Richthofen was my school project in 1971 so I have always had an interest.

Last edited by ericferret; 6th Oct 2017 at 11:35.