PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitude recovery?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2017, 02:54
army_av8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a military pilot, and instrument flight examiner, I suppose I had made some assumptions. Our flight task for inadvertent IMC, and unusual attitudes are very similar. They are obviously very different situations, but one can quickly become the other. The immediate action steps are, in this order... attitude, heading, torque, airspeed, trim(yaw). Attitude, set the aircraft to a level attitude in both pitch and roll. Heading, use your current heading and only induce a turn to avoid known obstacles. Torque, set the torque or power for hover, climb, or cruise (based on conditions/ airspeed). Airspeed, select and maintain an airspeed, if IMC, best endurance is a good starting point (50-80knots depending on type)... and finally Trim, verify the ball is centered. I could have an entire evening conversation on the subject, each type requires specific adjustments based on aircraft performance, but this should be enough to go in the right direction. Airplanes require certain actions to maintain airspeed energy, nose high add power, nose low reduce power. Helicopters don't needed as much focus on that energy except in the most extreme conditions.typically levelling the aircraft and applying hover power will be enough to buy me a few seconds. So, basic aircraft control is at the forefront of this task. I sincerely hope this helps