PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitude recovery?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2017, 22:24
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Please guys, I did already say to ignore the bit about IMC and the AI. I'masking a serious question. In perfect day VFR conditions, you hit wake turbulence (let's say) and suddenly find yourself pointing skywards - as determined by looking out of the window. Now what do you do?

As far as fixed wing goes, when I did my unusual attitude training (VFR), yes, if you're 60 degrees nose up, roll into a knife edge, wait for the nose to drop to near horizontal, roll back out of the knife edge. Works perfectly, in any airplane (doesn't need to be aerobatic although of course to be legal you should only be practising in an aerobatic aircraft). Otherwise you're likely to run out of airspeed. That will resolve itself SOMEHOW, but could well get you into a situation where the recovery is trickier than the above.

Seems to me that a heli will thoroughly dislike that attitude anyway, since the CG will be so far displaced (horizontally) from the centre of lift. So maybe it's a non issue and (if you could figure out how to get there in the first place) it would just sort itself out.