PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding?
Thread: Gliding?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2017, 16:43
yellowperil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portmoak is a great place to fly: a good fleet of aircraft; winch and aerotow launches; ridges which work in virtually all wind directions bar easterly; thermals in 'summer'; wave in winter (and spring and autumn). Going solo over a snow-covered landscape was a magical experience, maybe only bettered by climbing at 700 feet per minute to 10,000 feet over Loch Leven and seeing the whole of Fife spread out below me. That I got there on the power of the wind alone never fails to awe and amaze.

Modern gliders can go higher and faster than your average spamcan. They've got radios for controlled airspace, and turbos and self-sustainers even have engines, so you can satisfy your ATC/Pushing Tin and "'Clear Prop!" shouting fetishes to your heart's content. Plus the challenge and skill required to stay aloft at all. And the fact you only get one attempt at landing each flight.

Unless your PPL is merely the first step on an aviation career, I'd suggest gliding is a more rewarding way to fly. However, it is, or can be, a significant time commitment, which some might struggle to make. Other find it takes over your life completely....to the chagrin of spouses & significant others, employers, non-gliding folk etc...! If you're therefore looking for a shorter, more schedule-able, bookable or organise-able time commitment then the more 'turn up and go' commercial flight school approach could suit.