PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding?
Thread: Gliding?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2017, 10:57
scifi

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As has been said before, gliding is a team effort to get all the flights out. In the winter months it can be particularly unpleasant for the team standing in the mud at the launch point. The jobs that need doing include cable retrieve, glider positioning, wing running, and communicating with the winch (by radio or hand signals.) So be prepared and wear a stout coat, scarf, hat and wellies, whilst you stand in the open air for 4 hours.

However, I had one of my best flights wearing my green wellies. When it was my turn in the K8 (wooden glider), I launched into the leaden skies, and found a gap in the clouds that gave me about 1200 fpm climb rate, I went up to 5500ft so quickly the vario was on the stop, and the altimeter was winding around quicker than a clock's second hand. Had to dive out of that climb as the clouds where closing in on all sides. Also I couldn't claim the height for a badge, as I didn't have the recording apparatus on board... But I still have my 5500ft Green Wellies...!