PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian Boeing 737 collides with ATR during take off run
Old 4th Oct 2017, 00:19
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Judd
Interesting discussion; especially after reading the full report by the investigation team It could be argued the PIC could have immediately rejected the takeoff run when the co-pilot warned of something on the runway and speed was 96 knots ground speed; even if the captain could not discern what was ahead. If he had done so, a collision may or may not, have been avoided. Even a low speed impact would have been safer than what happened next at high speed.
Not an unreasonable thought, but there are two things that come to mind:

(1) The need and time for processing by P1 [reaction time], which would probably include the need to confirm what was seen - after all it's not something 'likely', and P2 was comparatively inexperienced.

(2) IIRC (I'm not going to read it again right now!) a simulated run was done in which action was taken immediately upon report by P2. The conclusion from this was that not only would it not have avoided contact, but that it could have been a worse outcome. I think I'd treat that proposed outcome with some degree of latitude, without having considered it in detail, and it doesn't mean that P1 couldn't have done better - but on the face of it I don't think either did badly,

FP.