PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF66 CDG-LAX diverts - uncontained engine failure over Atlantic
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 19:28
CONSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slip and turn
Broadly agreed and my knowledge of the coupling between angular momentum and linear momentum is far too stale to argue convincingly, but consider the hammer thrower in his cage. As a professional wobbler, he’s an effective converter of one to the other, albeit with no propeller attached! There surely was wobble here, however brief, and the last part of the fan case to let go might largely determine the ultimate trajectory, do we think?
FWIW - agree with the above but must also include gyroscopic action to the trajectory calcs. Observation of the phot showing leading edge outboard **seems** to indicate fan and part cowl departed down and to the right. However, IF it went above the wing, seems to me to be a fair chance it would hav hit or dinged the right horiz stabilizer. I'll bet a detailed analysis after full examination of parts and external dings will provide a better trajectory analysis AND why-where fracture started

To reparaphrase Ernie Gann- re aircraft accidents -- sometimes an unknown genie doesn't unzip his pants and urinate on the pillars of science..