PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding?
Thread: Gliding?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 18:54
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jazzer83

There are one or two grumpy gits who show up from time to time in PPPrune who managed to have a miserable time in a gliding club. Probably self inflicted.

When my first husband ran off with another woman, I decided to do something rash and exciting, so had my ears pierced and went for a trial lesson at Booker Gliding Club, High Wycombe. Of course as a beginner I was nervous, until the tug towed us up over the hedge and I thought WOW! THIS BIRD WAS BUILT TO FLY!

Went solo 3 months later (wasn't getting any younger so thought I better get on with it...). And that was in 1983.

Since then have accumulated over 3,000 flying hours: 1,800 in gliders, the rest in power, mostly flying the tug! Got the instrument rating in Texas, and bought a 150 Supercub, had it shipped to Booker, but they said it didn't have enough power to pull up the heavier gliders, so moved to Shenington Gliding Club.

Mostly winch launching, at Shenington, it is much less expensive, though not guaranteed to find you a thermal. However we do have a ridge that works well in northwesterly winds.

My longest flight in the UK was 8 hours and 53 minutes, solo, gaining the diamond award. Got the gain of height diamond at Aboyne in Scotland.
So you can do much much more flying gliders. Including spins, loops and chandelles! And if you are a helpful person, you will be especially welcome.

I became an instructor and competition pilot, and have flown in France, Spain, and the USSR!