PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apparently Prince Harry Can't Fly a Helicopter
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 13:58
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
I'm guessing from your 'crab' moniker that you are (former) RAF? You were really selected for RAF officer/air crew selection with "far less" than two very poor A-levels (one of which was in art)? If that's true I take my hat off to you, but can only assume that you joined at a time when pilot spots weren't at quite the premium they were when the HRHs signed up.
one grade D A level in accounts and a mixture of O level and GCSE grade 1, totalling 5 - it was the bare minimum academically but I passed Officer and aircrew selection for both RN (AIB) and RAF - the RAF made the best offer.

I was lucky and got what I wanted - to be a helicopter pilot - in the days when the chop rate was significant and they could pick and choose who they wanted (early 80's). Just goes to show that what is required to be a pilot isn't always academic qualifications (the number of graduates that were chopped in my day was very high).

32 years later (all spent in flying posts) I retired but continue to fly and instruct.

As William and Harry prove - exam results do not make the man (or the pilot) - that is due to far more factors so perhaps you can stop being so disrespectful of two guys who have already done far more for their country than you ever will.