PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding?
Thread: Gliding?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 12:31
Alex757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzer83
In an ideal world I'd learn to fly powered aircraft however I'm struggling to justify the sheer expense of not only gaining the licence but of funding the necessary hours each year to keep it current.

I guess that's where gliding comes into it as a compromise of sorts. If you don't mind me asking how much does it cost to own your own glider?

Portmoak do a learn to glide package at £250 which includes 3 months membership and £200 worth of gliding. If I do go for it I think I'd do that as oppose to a trial flight as they cost £85 so financially the learn to glide package would make more sense.
Exactly the reason I got into gliding - and I've stuck with it because I prefer it!

While it is cheaper in terms of cost it definitely "costs" more in time. I purchased a third share in a fairly elderly wooden glider at a cost of £1500. Most people buy gliders in syndicates as it keeps the running costs down. Between the three of us, we pay for the insurance, annual inspection and issue, and most work that needs doing we do ourselves. I estimate realistically I probably spend around £500-600 a year on it. The per hour cost isn't brilliant but it offers more flexibility than renting a glider, although in most clubs renting is not a problem as there is always an aircraft to fly.

To fly something a little higher performance you're looking at maybe £15-20k for a good fibreglass glider for a low hour pilot, though personally I own a vintage glider and if I want to fly something quicker I fly a club aircraft.

I'm not familiar with Portmoak's flying fees but the package sounds like a reasonable deal. Most clubs you pay an annual membership fee (£240 at mine) then pay for a launch (£8 for a winch launch at my club) and hire the glider by the minute (usually 15-30 pence per minute). From winch launches £200 of flying should get you over a dozen flights, although aerotows are significantly more expensive (Usually about £35 for 2000ft)

As others have mentioned having a look around the club is a good idea - even if you don't fly! Most clubs will be happy to show you around with no obligation of spending any money. Best of luck!