PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Janes report on AAC
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 12:29
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin,

Having a 'pop' at each others' services can be fun - but do be prepared for a rejoinder or two.

The RAFAT is, by my reckoning, one of the (if not the) largest military air display team in the world. The BBMF is also the largest government owned and operated 'heritage' collection in the world. I'm not sure that the RAF can really justify either or both. The USAF doesn't. The USN doesn't. Can't find another Air Force anywhere that keeps two such large teams going (but happy to be proved wrong). I love seeing them both, but honestly, if it's a choice between active Royal Marines and cuts to RAFAT and/or BBMF, then I'm afraid the RMs have to be the priority.

On the subject of musicians the RAF is, as I type, actively recruiting for its own musicians. Lots of slots available, according to the website. The blurb makes no mention of the types of secondary roles the RAF musician is required to carry out, but I'm sure they do some, just as the RM musicians do. Perhaps the RAF could cut back on its own musicians to keep the RAFAT and BBMF going?

The point here is that uninformed inter service mud slinging gets none of us anywhere. Let's be nice to each other, shall we?

Best regards as ever to the RAFAT, BBMF, Royal Marines and musicians (whatever cloth they wear).

Engines