PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HMS OCEAN
Thread: HMS OCEAN
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 06:18
alfred_the_great

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Just This Once...
Incorrect?

ASW - Nothing organic. If weather is ok and you have them embarked then you have the rotary option.

AD - Nothing organic. No fixed wing AEWC for long-range search and zero surface to air missiles. If you have them embarked, armed and ready, you may have F-35.

Modern CIWS - Gun only CIWS salvaged from other vessels. Needs to predict missile course and engagement limited to very close range. Against modern (i.e. post-CIWS era) manoeuvring or very high speed weapons - er no. Plans to update for a RIM116 type capability - nope, nothing yet.

The QE is not built or funded for carrier strike. I do recognise the 'budgets and C2' argument as it is often used but the idea of a major upgrade in capabilities this late in the day are wishful thinking. I am also used to the incredulous looks from the USN / USMC when we explain we intend to operate the QE class in the littoral environment as a helicopter assault ship.

Again, carrier strike is an expensive business and with the QE class we did not join the club. We have to make the best of what we have and not imagine our way into thinking we have carrier strike. We also need to be realistic about taking a vessel of this size and value close enough to the shore to make helicopter assault a viable option.
By your premise, USN CSGs are not carrier strike as they rely on "non-organic" RW assets.