PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference betweem a CRP-1 and E6B Flight computer ?
Old 10th Sep 2003, 20:42
Dave Gittins

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Flight Computers

Have had a CRP-1 for 100 years. Perfectly OK computer. It's what you need to pass all the UK exams, compatible with Trevor Thom's books and IMHO it's the one almost all UK FIs are familiar with and you won't go wrong.

According to Transair a CRP1 is £43.50 and an aluminium E6B £30.00. There is a cardboard E6b for 1/2 price but the treatment my stuff got I wouldn't recommend it as an economical purchase.

NOW I use the E6B feature on my Palm Pilot, for which the software cost me about £20.00 from the "Handspring" web-site. Nearly bought a Jeppeson Flitestar or similar once but at £70.00 min. I am glad I got the Handspring and it's bits for far less.

(Incidentally there is also weight and balance software, checklists and masses of other stuff for avaiation available for Handsprings).

Advice - get a CRP1 and get your license. As a treat for passing get a Palm Pilot and kit it out with E6B Software. Don't get it until after the examiner says YES or you'll never learn to use the CRP1.