PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch 4
Thread: Monarch 4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 17:38
SLFandProud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh; this is a depressing read. As a senior manager in a totally unrelated industry, I'm often called in to turn failing business units around, and without tooting my own horn too much, I usually do (although it usually takes longer than the people who ask me to want - they always want a quick fix, I consider it takes a minimum 6 months to effect any meaningful change, 12 to be ready to let the duckling fly on its own.)

Anyway, my philosophy is very simple - and incredibly, people rarely ask what it is (which is depressing in its own right.) But it is in a nutshell: "Treat people with respect, and trust they wouldn't be in the job in the first place if they didn't know what they're doing, so empower them to use their judgement. Do this, and they will usually repay you." Sounds like Monarch understood this. It's depressing because so few do.

(Don't get me wrong, it's not all flowers and teddy bears - the corollary is you've got to be ready to fire and fire quickly the ones who betray the trust, for the benefit of the team. But in my experience that's normally a very small minority.)