PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF66 CDG-LAX diverts - uncontained engine failure over Atlantic
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 16:00
Foxdeux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiedehopf
@foxdeux pls read up on what exactly happened

on AF66 the FAN including the fandisk detached from the shaft and departed the aircraft
on QF32 the TURBINE disk FRACTURED

and the engines are very different not just a different supplier. so it can be a fault in engine design but it can't be the same one because a fracturing oil tube (what happened on QF32) would not make the fan depart the aircraft.

btw the QF32 manufacturing fault grounded a significant part of the A380 fleet and was rectified.
did you even read this thread? :/
There's 8 pages of comments, I don't have time to sift through all of them. But thank you for taking the time to explain to me the different causes of the AF and QF flights. I just thought they were somewhat similar because engines 'breaking apart' like that is a very rare occurrence in commercial aviation and AF and QF are by no means budget airlines so if it's a maintenance issue I would be concerned with the airlines. So by deductive reasoning I assumed it would most likely be caused by a flaw in design, I'm not an aviation technical expert, just an enthusiast.