PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 06:53
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
A carrier related idea to help with STEM education:

I understand the three services each have a SO2 STEM engagement - including the RN. Perhaps carrier landings provide an excellent idea for a project for Schools/Colleges and kids interested (or not) in Maths/Physics/the Navy... land a UAV on a moving deck.

1. Use trailer pulled by lorry/tractor to simulate moving deck. A more sophisticated version could use some sort of raft being pulled along the length of a swimming pool.

2. Use cheap fixed wing remote control model aircraft to simulate the recovering aircraft. I assume there is a camera in the nose, and then the operator is looking to land on a small area.

3. The students get to devise a visual landing aid - light(s) and a tilted mirror, or perhaps just lights. I have no idea if there is any Optics in GCSE Physics these days - there was not when I did GCSEs, but this would cover topics such as:

Pythagoras' theorem
The trigonometry of the right angled triangle
Lighting
Electrical circuit basics (Ohms law, power, resistance in series/parallel)
Algebra

4. For some more fun, they get to paint the deck with something that causes friction so the still moving 'drone' comes to a halt in the shortest possible distance. Topics covered include:

Friction
Newtonian Law of Motion
Algebra

5. They then write a report, and do a presentation to the class, teachers, parents, etc. This would be an opportunity to practise English language skills (writing for a purpose, learning to present ideas, and getting up and talking). ICT could be part of it as well.

6. Aside from the Physics/Maths/English/ICT aspects, the kids will hopefully benefit from working as a team, and learning that any sort of project requires people with different abilities - the ones who can do the calculations and theoretical work, the practically gifted ones who are good with their hands, ones to plan and organise, ones to do the written work, and ones to get up and talk.

7. The RN gets some PR, and maybe gets some future recruits interested.