PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting EASA PPL to Australian equivalent.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 01:37
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As has already been suggested, converting the licence is pretty easy. You'll sit the Air Law exam, which is open-book but you'd really better know your way around the books if you're going to use that technique. You'll do a test (probably with the CFI) and that will count as your biennial check as well. CASA can be pretty okay with this sort of thing and will transfer endorsements, such as tailwheel etc. If you've got wobbly prop and/or up and down wheels endorsements then it is likely the CFI will want you to fly an aircraft with those facilities so he/she can see you'll be right. Finally you'll fill in all sorts of forms, pay CASA a bunch of money (they're worse than the CAA for charging for everything) and sit and wait an age while they phaff around with paperwork. Truly, Australia and India took the knowledge of bureaucratic procrastination from the English and improved upon it.

The BIGGEST pain in the arse is the ASIC. It is true that you only need one for airfields that have RPT (read scheduled services) and I reckon Kalgoorlie will count. However, you will also need an ASIC for your initial licence issue, no matter RPT airfield or not.....even if you let is lapse later on. I'm not going to say how it used to be because the bureaucrats have recently made it even worse and you now have to attend some ridiculous interview process, but only in certain places. You can bet your bottom dollar that your interview will be in Perth somewhere. It's a bloody nonsense and I certainly won't be bothering again, however you'll have to in order to get your licence. If anything I'd start that process ahead of all the others because nothing gets done quickly in Australia, even less quickly in WA and, Kalgoorlie, forget it