PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF66 CDG-LAX diverts - uncontained engine failure over Atlantic
Old 1st Oct 2017, 20:51
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Once apilot.

I am sure the Pylons /engin e mounts alone are a very serious piece of engineering but as the pictures show there are bits (not of the pylon I know) hanging off the thing and I am not sure I would want to take any risk about loads on the pylon if it was my decision.

I agree that the cruising speed on 3 would be much lower would it really be as much as 200Kts less? but the engine is now just a big lump of metal with little airflow through it and no residual thrust whatsoever it must surely add substantial drag to the airframe and be subject to some degree of buffet.

I agree Gander could probably handle several aircraft but the point I was trying to make is that for the AF Operations people trying to extract 400 pax and send them on there way would be pretty challenging as it doesn't have that much scheduled service nor any significant operator based there. though it was nice to see the Canadian military fed them all

On a different note i clearly the 380 held up well, one of the more recent pics on here shows a lot of surface damage to the leading edge flap outboard of the dud engine so the potential for damage is clearly there. I was wondering what would happen to 777 -300 with those Monster GE-s , a similar accident on one of those would be pretty scary indeed given the huge size of those beasts and of course then theres only one left.