PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mike Pence's plane skids off runway at LGA
Old 1st Oct 2017, 14:16
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
filejw. B737 ground contact threat is outside training edge/corner of the flaps. Complete side-slip to touchdown is limited by X-wind = bank angle at touchdown. I can expect a 4 engine short gear a/c would have other problems. Like I said my technique is when you are stuck in ground effect at <2'.
In light/medium winds I liked the side-slip approach at <300'. I found on B757/767 it worked a treat and then transferred to B737 if wind limits allowed. Boeing offers 3 methods. I've heard some operators teach only 1 technique. I wonder why a correctly trained pilot is not allowed to choose whichever method from the manufacturer's list is best for the conditions at the time. But we are then back to a common subject about how deep or shallow some training syllabi are.
I used to ask students what they would do if they found themselves floating down the runway. What was the best technique to land the darned recalcitrant beast? Silence, but to their credit they recited the well known get of of jail free card of Go Around. True, but that is some seconds after the flare & float. The wing nudge is something that can be done immediately after you realise the flare was too high. It's not such a good idea if the flare was too strong. That needs to be recovered with elevator first and then see what the state of play is. Nose high and wing down can end in tears.