PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150, what are your toughts about this nice little bird?
Old 1st Oct 2017, 11:56
dont overfil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homsap
B737C525......... I agree to a point, aircraft such as the Grob115, SAH1, Beagle Pup, Robin400, SlingsbyT67, Chipmunk were much better aircraft both from a handling point and visually.

I would say that the Cessna150/152 is a stable training platform which is why so many flying schools opted for them. From memory when the civilian version of the Grob115 was introduced, they were modified to reduced the rate of roll, as 'Cessna' pilots found it difficult to handle!
Back in the eighties Tayside Aviation had three of the first Grob 115A models. I thought they were a disappointment. They were overweight/underpowered and had very unpleasant handling due to the rudder aileron connection, deleted on later models. I think this is the mod referred to by Homsap. A student and instructor were killed in one of Tayside's after a possible weather related in flight break up.

The Grob was one of several new types tried over the years but the students and instructors preferred the Cessna's. Only in the last few years the Cessna's have been replaced by Warriors at a higher cost to operate.

ACS at Perth have committed to the Cessna's and have completely refurbished four up to now, to a fabulous standard, with the rest to follow.

There is still nothing to replace the Cessna 150/152, particularly for flight training. Some are aerobatic, they can all be spun and I have been told there has never been an in flight break up of a strutted metal Cessna.