PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aptitude & Learning
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2017, 14:21
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aptitude & Learning

I heard an interview today on BBC radio 4 with Jon Culshaw, who is an English impressionist and comedian. Having given up learning to play the piano at the age of seven (grade 2), he restarted learning the piano in his late forties, he now has been signed up with a major label and performed at concerts playing the piano.

This started me thinking if we underate the ability to learn, say after the age of thirty. I have to say, I have always held the opinion that older pilots take longer to train, is is that just a false perception on my behalf, and perhaps older students are less confident.

This is also leads me onto pilot aptitude, I have always wondered if playing musical instruments and playing coordinated sport such as tennis would give a pilot candidate a higher level of coordination prior to pilot training?

Finally, I think we all know teamwork and people skills are important as an element of CRM, yet lacking in some pilots I have known. A few days ago in the argument in UK media about rugby football, a spokesman stated that the sport improves teamwork. I am very sceptical if playing foorball, rugby or rowing eights significantly improves teamwork or people skills. I would add that probably the Duke of Edinburgh sheme would be more likely to improve people skills and teamwork skills.