PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "The Old and the Bold" by Macarthur Job
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2017, 14:48
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the Rod Lovell report on his DC3 ditching into Botany Bay in 1994 reproduced by link in Post No.12. Certainly a most interesting in-depth report by the captain.
One paragraph deserves comment though and that was where the writer stated:

"I dispute the BASI report's statement that "almost full right aileron had been used to control the aircraft". The implication of yaw is overstated. The application of hard right aileron was transient only".

The report says the whole event lasted only 46 seconds and started at 200 ft agl. It is decades since I flew DC3's and memories fade over the years. But where the writer states the hard right aileron was transient only, much depends on how many seconds is "transient" - especially when one is told the event lasted only 46 seconds from engine failure to ditching. During simulated engine failures after lift off in the DC3 it was quite common to see pilots using large amounts of aileron deflection in their attempts to fly a straight path on one engine. One reason being the rudder pedals on the DC3 are quite small and close together and foot load very heavy indeed with one propeller windmilling. Because of this, it was not uncommon to note some pilots could not obtain full rudder deflection (especially a problem for a short pilot) and compensated for this by applying almost full aileron in their attempts to keep the wings level. The drag from full ailerons would be significant and certainly would have affected any climb ability. I vaguely recall the accident investigation may have mentioned this. If "transient" was for only 30 seconds for example, then that was a good proportion of the total flight time of the accident.