PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Northolt
Thread: Northolt
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2017, 20:53
A30yoyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
........... situated east of the tunnel entrance, to access the public viewing areas which gradually moved south until they were in the Central Area.
On one visit, we had to walk across an active taxiway to access the public viewing area, the crossing being guarded by what I believe may have been airline personnel. I remember seeing my brother and sister walking across and I ran to follow, only to be snatched back by a man in a dark airline style with as something large with 4 engines was fast approaching (DC4 or 6 type).
Of course as I was only about 4 years old and this occured well over 60 years ago, some of the details of my recollection may be inaccurate, but the incident certainly happened!
You're describing the access to the 'overspill' public enclosure between the northern taxiway and the closed runway 28 in 1953 (Coronation Year)...it was right in front of the control tower and the dark uniformed guides/guards were from the Ministry of Civil Aviation. This enclosure closed at the end of the summer season 1953 ,I think, and the following summer season was sited on top of the tunnel mouth in the Central area a year before the Central Area was open for passengers 1953 photos in following post