PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Cancelling flights!
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2017, 17:27
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However the Commissioner for Aviation Regulation in the Republic Cathy Mannion maintains maintains that EU regulations about treatment of passengers who have their flights cancelled is “open to interpretation.”
The British regulator (CAA’s) position is that under EU regulations Ryanair is required to use other airlines to bring people home if their flight is cancelled.
However the issue of enforcement is open to interpretation, she told RTÉ’s Today with Sean O’Rourke show. “Our position is that we can encourage them, but we cannot require them to do so,” she said.

What an Irish coincidence.

Ms Mannion said she said she also had drawn Ryanair’s attention to their “care and assistance” obligations. “We want to ensure that customers get the correct information.”
“We just deal with customers’ rights.”

It's pity she doesn't seem as concerned with the 'workers' rights'.

There were comments from Pruners previously suggesting the UK government did not have the jurisdiction to intervene in the employment structures of RYR as it was an Irish based company, even though many workers are British & based in UK. Interesting that the UK Aviation minister Lord Callahan is getting involved.

"Ryanair is also under pressure from Britain’s aviation minister Lord Callanan who contacted chief executive Michael O’Leary after the airline announced a new wave of cancellations.
Lord Callanan said: “I am extremely concerned that Ryanair is cancelling more flights and I have made clear my disappointment about the service many of their customers are receiving."

Well, with that and the UK CAA having it tuppence-worth, about the rights of UK passengers, why not also have a spout about the rights of UK workers. If they have jurisdiction over one group then why not the other?