PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 runway overruns
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2017, 08:48
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also learned that one from colleagues but not officially from instructors during initial training.

And I've always wondered why not. It works for most a/c. We're talking a couple of feet off the deck, not 6 feet. Boeing does write the x-wind limitation for side-slip only approach & touchdown due to trailing edge outboard flap grond contact. I wonder if they are too nervous to include our little 'piloting technique' as there will always be some who mis-interpret it and infringe that other limit. We're back in the circular discussion about training pilots not monkeys. All has to be for the lowest common denominator. It would be nice to raise the bar so the lowest was still a high standard. But that's for another day's debate over a cold one.

Still, for instructors to pass it on, like many other 'unofficial' tips & tricks, seems a proactive move to prevent some over runs, especially on the short runways B737's often operate into. Sitting there floating in ground effect hoping that the beast will settle in time, and wondering why you didn't use F40 in the first place, and wondering if there was a gem of an answer to help the dunlops meet the tarmac PDQ is not a cosy predicament, when there is a little gem.