PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Battle of Britain
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2017, 20:44
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The full version, which - unsurprisingly - does the necessary duty of saying good things about the book, offered so that the observations about rugger types can be seen in their context.
When Alfred Price invited me to write a foreword to this book I was, of course, honoured: but I had the passing thought "Oh dear! Another air book to wade through".

My fears were quite unfounded. As soon as I had read the first few pages I was held by it and read on almost non-stop until I finished with Maffres's excellent 'Spitfire Swansong'

I think the average member of the public during the war thought of Spitfire pilots as being gay, carefree, beer-swilling types, rather like the rugger club members one could see being very noisy in any pub on a Saturday night. Indeed, with a very few exceptions, nothing could have been further from the truth. Wartime flying and especially air combat in Spitfires, was a very cold calculating 'cat and mouse' affair. Woe betide any fighter pilot who was casual or who daydreamed - he would soon 'cop it up the back end', or one of his pals would. However, in spite of their deadly business, the Spitfire pilots had one great advantage - their aircraft - which they came to love in that strange way that men will love their cars or boats.

I got my hands on a Spitfire for the first time on a crisp morning in December 1938. It belonged to No 19 Squadron at Duxford. From the first moment I sat quietly in the cockpit, going through all the instruments, cockpit checks, take off and landing procedures, etc, I thought "if it comes to a war, this is the girl for me." Later that day, after my first flight, I felt this even more and for the first time in any aircraft I felt I was really part of it.

Just over a year later the tremendous thrill of getting my first Me109 over Dunkirk justified my high opinion of the handling and fighting qualities of the Spitfire. As the years went past she carried me through countless combats and difficult situations and gave of her utmost every time it was demanded. She was a true thoroughbred.

I was so enthralled reading this book and recalling the memories it brought back of the airmen I had known, the flying and the wonderful spirit which exited in those years, that I was very tempted to write considerably more: but that is not my part in this book.

All I can say, with sincerity, is that this is a fine book about a fine aircraft and fine men and add my thanks to Alfred Price for asking me to write these few words.