PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Honesty required!
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2017, 08:15
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that it's much different to learning to drive in a car with an Automatic gearbox.

You can only drive them, unless you sit a manual box test, but if you don't bother, then you can keep on driving automatics. There are driving schools out there teaching on automatics. Here are two I found in a 2 minute google: One explains it well, but the other is not quite so keen to point out the limitations.

Automatic Driving Lessons - RED Driving School

Why Automatic

Do we need legislation to enforce telling people what they can and can't do with a qualification? I don't think so. How many people who want to be a lorry driver, really think they can do it after only learning on a Nissan Micra?

I learned to drive in a Land Rover, so the transition to a Ford Cargo was easy, but I learned at a proper driving school, lots of classroom work and a varied fleet of vehicles to try, no expense spared. Someone going along and doing an hour every Saturday with BSM, may be not so well equipped for the wider challenges out there on the roads.

I have just googled 2 flying schools close to home, they both teach the NPPL but the Microlight one of them has it under the heading PPL Training. That seems wrong.

Whilst neither school has (blatantly) on their website, a path to show a novice how to get Airline ready, I'm not convinced that there needs to be. However, I do think there is potential for some people to be misled, easily, by the content of at least one page of the Microlight training website that I have looked at today.

The NPPL and LAPL are not real PPLs but I think it is the student who should be finding that out, before undertaking the training.

What we seem to have here, is a mixture of careless people and sharp practice. When an unscrupulous vendor takes advantage of a weak (and ill informed) customer, it does the industry no good, but the vendor still takes the money home.

Horses for courses, but some people might be getting taken for a ride, on a pony.