PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 runway overruns
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2017, 11:31
CaptainMongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pineteam
I don't know who writes such manual but I doubt they are pilots..I agree if you are concerned about landing distance available. But a light A320 with 3500M+ runway on a perfect day.. Who cares if you land slightly deep when you know you only need half the runway to stop the aircraft safely... not saying you should disregard the TDZ, but if the guys floats a little bit, I'm never asking him to "put it down" like some captains Love to do.. Give the guy a break. It's all about common sense. Especially now with the ipad computation, we know exactly what's our margin.. A go around is not always the safest manoeuver. Emirates knows best with their 777 accident... and I know very well about landing on very short strips. I did bush flying before.
We have about 300 instructors, standards Captains and management pilots in our training center, they write our manuals.

Our stabilized approach criteria as is our abort criteria are independent of runway length. When you brief your companies abort criteria, do you make caveats for runway length? Something like, "Hey I know we aren't suppose to abort above V1 but we are taking off on a long dry runway so..."

Accident reports are littered with the bodies of pilots (and passengers who wished to remain uninvited to their own funerals) who thought SOP doesn't apply to them, or SOP was for less accomplished pilots, or SOP was situation dependent.

Intentional non compliance is a cancer our industry can not afford.