PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2017, 07:30
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
CS, good post, Sir! I completely agree that interest in WWII in particular will grow rather than wane. The example you give is excellent, that your son could relate on a personal basis to the experience of a BoB fighter pilot's training. That has been the secret of this thread, and in particular Danny's detailed and inspiring tale. We have all sat with him in his cockpit, fearful that the Oscar will spot us!

As he ruefully reminds us, further first hand testimony from his generation is becoming ever more unlikely. However, sons and daughters have already stepped to the fore, and from all around the world too. Others have posted accounts because of their particular research and attachment to certain aspects of the War in the Air (witness sidevalve's revelations of the Comet Line. I hope that even now there might be more about that?).

Danny, this thread has reached a cross roads, one direction being to a dead-end and its demise, the other to a different style, yet hopefully as inclusive and as informative as ever. WWII was a high water mark in this country's history. We really did make an enormous difference to the fate of the world, and the subsequent victory was a vindication of the years of suffering and sacrifice. It also hastened our demise to the much smaller player that we are today. With respect, I am not particularly keen to describe my part in that demise. I would much rather celebrate our finest hour, for which we later generations owe so much to the so many of yours.