PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2017, 21:50
CoodaShooda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and the youngsters just don't want to know.
In recent years in Oz, the ANZAC legend has been increasing its recognition among the younger generations. This has certainly been kicked along by the commemoration of the Centenary of Gallipoli and subsequent Western Front battles.

Kokoda also resonates, with school groups regularly attempting to walk the Track.

Closer to home, CoodaKid 3, who showed no interest as a child in my library of military aviation histories and surprised us all by becoming an F/A18 pilot, has discovered a latent interest in matters historical.

This started when I lent him a book and he found he could relate to Geoffrey Wellham's emotional experiences as a student pilot as described in First Light. It was reinforced by his meeting WW2 veterans at various RAAF functions.

The contributors to this Prince of Threads have brought alive this period of history in a way that no historian could hope to achieve. And the thread will be available to all as long as the internet endures.

I'll go out on a limb and predict the thread will go viral when the period of history that it describes approaches its Centenary.