PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grid North calculations
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2017, 20:34
Fabio1605

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grid North calculations

Hi

I am on my studies with ATPL and my sticking point is grid north calculations.

I am struggling so much to find some resources online that will help me work these out

Here are some of the questions, i am really interested to find out HOW these are worked out, i just dont even know what to google to even try get help with these, i have tried a few videos but none really help.

I dont want just the answers i want to know how to work these out, i have understanding of grid vs magnetic i am just really struggling with these, any resources or guidance would be much appreciated.

My study books are not really yielding much help, i have the oxfords books too and they dont have any mention in it, i assume this topic is covered more in general navigation (this has come up in my ops studies)

1. A polar stereographic chart has a grid printed over it which is parallel to the meridian 054W, with Grid North in the direction of the North geographic pole.

An aircraft is following a true course of 330°.

At position 80N 140E, its grid heading will be:

6 On a polar stereographic chart where the Earth convergence between 2 points located on the parallel 60°N is 20°, the great circle maximum cross-track difference with the straight line joining the 2 points is:

The inertial navigation system (INS) indicates:

Position: 71° 55.1'N 094°55.3'W

Drift: 6°L (left)