PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Needle Phobia & Class 1
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2017, 14:13
Dring

Hi all,
Thank you for your comments and advice. The syncope only occurs when it is me being pricked/injected, I have many friends who are diabetic and I can easily watch them perform their insulin/blood sugar level tests (albeit being a bit squirmish but far from loss of consciousness). I have been consulting my GP about this for a while and there is nothing to be done about it according to him. At this point I am considering hypnotherapy. In the time since my original post, I have had a meningitis jab in which I successfully had without fainting as I used a blindfold and played music.

Unlike what a previous user mentioned, it was not a wooden pick but a device which had a button on which has a very small, concealed needle at the end. The procedure of course does not at all hurt, if anything you cant feel it at all! It's just an involuntary response to a trigger. My file was sent off to the CAA three weeks ago and I am eagerly awaiting a response, I contacted the CAA and I was told to contact my AME even after I was told to expect the CAA to get in touch "shortly".

In future I shall be attending another AME who performed my Class 2 initial as he, like me, has the same phobia of needles and the same occurs with him when procedures are performed on himself. He is also perplexed as to why this has been made such a big issue.

Last edited by Dring; 25th Sep 2017 at 15:19.