PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailrotor failure - is it always unrecoverable ?
Old 25th Sep 2017, 12:58
212man

Received 333 Likes on 185 Posts
I must say I find the Puma story a little tall too. In my previous company we had three Super Puma tail rotor failures and one (that I am familiar with - could have been more before that) on a 330J. One of the 332 ones was at low power and the pilot (it was effectively SP as using a foreign co-pilot and a translator) was able to successfully autorotate to a ditching without too much initial drama. A second one happened at a moderate cruise speed/power following a lightning strike, with the crew poised to react. When the TR 'let go' the subsequent motion was described by the handling pilot as like a Lomcovák and only stopped with the throttles off. The third was at the bottom of an ILS (in VMC), so less than cruise power at slightly less than cruise speed, at around 200 ft and was an uncontrolled impact with serious injuries. The 330J event was in the cruise, and the aircraft tumbled so violently that at least one of the pilots lost his headset and it was not a controlled ditching that resulted in fatalities.

So, none of the above lends itself to the idea that you can have a TR failure at 140 kts and then take the aircraft to land on a runway - unless we are talking about TRCF not loss of thrust.