PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2017, 07:50
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RW20

Wish I knew, I threw in the towel many years ago after too many opportunities for airside improvements were missed, failure to provide a northern taxiway connection to the runway while there was an asphalt plant on site resurfacing the runway (a figure of around £50K was mentioned), extension of the short term car park up to the fence thereby preventing any extension of Stands 7-12 to take larger aircraft nose-in, failure to fully address the tree problem at the southern end (if you currently drive along the M27 take a quick look at the RW 02 approach lights buried in the trees-that's the tip of the iceberg) to permit increases in take-off weights, just a few past frustrations.

Still waiting for a significant announcement from the airport operators, haven't seen any planning applications for a runway starter strip or northern taxiway extension, so not holding my breath.

Under the original Section 106 Agreement drawn up with Local Planning Authorities when the airport site was redeveloped, contrary to many past Airport MD's publically voiced statements, an application for a runway extension can be made provided that it is not extended beyond 2000 metres. Nice as that would be its never going to happen unless a large part of Campbell Road housing is demolished and the rail yard and sheds are removed. Moving aircraft noise closer to Eastleigh is of course another factor that would most probably prevent it. A 150 metre northern starter strip, within the existing boundary fence may be successful, however the issue of an access road to the to permit development of the north eastern corner then comes into play, as does a large gas pipeline which around the northern end of the runway.