PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2017, 18:27
Danny42C

roving (#11258),

Thanks for the clip ! Ran it - Oh, to hear that glorious "Pratt & Whitney" Sound again ! All the P&W engines in the Wasp family had this sonorous tone ("Sonor Harvardorum et U/Torum", as one contributor to "TeeEmm" (?) put it long ago, for the benefit of classicists.

They all had this sonorous undertone, but the AT6A/Harvard had the aboriginal 600 hp "Wasp" - well, you can hear it on the clip. It was reckoned that the two-blade prop tips were supersonic. In contrast, the Wright "Cyclones", their arch-rivals, sounded like nut and bolts being shaken up in a barrel (I flew a few hundred hours behind a Twin Cyclone 1600 hp, and it hammered my ears out. Good engine, though.

The BFTS boys had it good. All the six BFTS were near towns (often on the town airfield) and they stayed the whole six months in one place, so were able to establish friendly relations with the local Southern Belles (all with their own convertibles, and keen to suss-out what had breezed into town), whereas we "Arnold" chaps went to three different places often hundreds of miles apart at two-month intervals, and all were Army fields with Army discipline, out in the sticks, with nowhere to go and no transport to get us there. It Wasn't Fair !

All credit to the good folk of Terrell for keeping the memory alive in their Museum, my thanks to them and to Rudy Bowling from Danny42C (ex-Arnold Scheme).