PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Air Ferries
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2017, 17:40
Four Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see an old thread still lives!

Seems I'm the last guy around who actually took his own car on BAF Carvairs.

First time was in mid 1961 when I had flown in to Cologne from Ghana to collect a new Ford Taunus, which I then drove to England via Rotterdam - Southend by Carvair. Did that route again (out and back) in winter 1965 when I took my girlfriend skiing in Austria.

Flew Silver City long nose Freighters several times Lydd - Le Touquet when on leaves in 1963 and 1964. Yes, the windows leaked, but it still remains the fastest ever way of crossing the Channel with a car at 20 minutes. Later I did it many times by hovercraft, but their best time ever that I experienced was 25 minutes.

Funny how now it seems curiously dated but at the time was perfectly rational and very cool.

For those interested in the routing you had to fly back then my 1961 flight to Cologne was Accra - Barcelona BOAC Britannia, Barcelona - Zurich Swissair DC7 (en route from South America), Zurich - Cologne Swissair Convair 440 - you got variety in those days!

The 1961 flight has always stuck with me for a mystery side story: I was working for Shell in Ghana and when I went on leave the local General Manager gave me an ordinary hand addressed letter with a British stamp to Shell Centre in London to post when I got to England. I pointed out it would be two or three days before I got there but he said no matter, but it can't go in the Ghana post. So the first thing I did on driving out of Southend Airport was to stop at the first red post box and post the letter. To this day I have no idea what it was about.