PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 24th Sep 2017, 15:27
Dougie M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following ICM's answer to the Old Feller I think that it was probably financially not possible to reconcile the huge inventory of transport aircraft into a single fleet in the late 50s. Since ICM and I had been on Argosies in the 60s we encountered Comets, Beverlys, Hastings and Britannias down the route and expected the VC10s, Belfasts and Andovers to swell the numbers. Smaller comms aircraft like Devons, Pembrokes, Beagles, Twin pins and the odd Dakota kept the maintenance teams on their toes. I arrived on the mighty Herc in 76 and stayed there till 2003. Best fun ever. It looks like Bunta's carrot of "all the gin joints in all the world" has yet to get a nibble.
I do recall a Red Flag detachment where the Herc crew were approached in the Café Michelle with a request to do that "sign language" gospel song. We obliged with Swing Low Sweet Chariot in its various forms ( which went on to be a nightly feature) and the only thing I remember being asked subsequently by an elegant blonde lady of mature years: "Why do you Brits slap yourselves on the back of your neck when you're jacking off?" My reply is lost in the mists of time.

Last edited by Dougie M; 24th Sep 2017 at 16:44.