PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailrotor failure - is it always unrecoverable ?
Old 24th Sep 2017, 07:37
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
TC - I'm not saying it was the right thing to do but I'm not rubbishing someone else's story just because I haven't done one myself.

Some thoughts - in an emergency situation, why would you worry about brake speed limits or running landing limits? If you have a pilot who is not confident of surviving an EOL without the TR (and I suspect there are more than a few of those out in the big wide world) then adapting something you already know (and may well have practiced in the sim) might seem a more attractive option.

The modern twin-driver will likely have very few EOLs under his belt and may have only ever done one in the Sim.

What if your RFM doesn't even give you the option of a EOL - only a high speed running landing?

He may have made the approach at 140kts but that doesn't mean he touched down at 140 or anything like it.

If 140kt is what you need straight and level to keep straight then in a descent of say 500'/min that speed will be a lot less as you have less Tq to oppose.

As you get to the ground you can flare a little more speed off as well - if you can get the touch down speed below 100kts, that is reasonably manageable as long as you have lots of runway and are gentle with the lever/throttles. personally I would consider shutting down one engine on the approach so I only had one throttle to worry about on the ground.

I regularly do 80-100Kt landings in the sim and 50-60Kt running landings in the aircraft as part of TR failure drills.

You and I would conduct a low speed handling check (exactly what I teach at the moment) but a lower-time pilot may not have been shown that or not understand it has to be done VERY gradually at a safe height.

So, no crystal meth, just not prepared to decry a story which might just turn out to be true