PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 21:11
Stan Woolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ltn man.

I am sure you will get an answer here in a day or two as even the remotest fact seems to be well documented by the airport history buffs that visit this site.
I put a bit about that other 'incident' in my book 'Who'd Marry a Pilot?', here is an excerpt:

"My ex colleague at National, Con Law, tells a more detailed story: Lindsay was rostered to fly the MO 430/ 431, SEN-DUB-SEN that night, in Beech 90, GBLNA. Apparently he departed as normal, checked-in with London ATCC and was cleared to climb to FL160. After a few minutes, London called him and told him that his Operations had called and that he had to return to SEN as the Cargo Documents were not on board the aircraft. Now, in those days, if one didn’t have the correct Shipping Documents / Air-Way Bills / Manifests / Customs Declarations / other Andrex made products, the cargo was worthless, as it could not be imported into Ireland. So, back to SEN went Lindsay. He apparently called Ops inbound and told them that he would keep the port engine running with the propeller feathered so that the Ops guy (possibly Duncan Sampson, who is now an Ops/ Crewing Duty Officer with DHL UK at EMA) could just open the rear door and chuck the paperwork in the back of the aircraft. This is what happened and after he had closed the door, the Ops guy went around to the front-left of the aircraft to get a ‘thumbs-up’ confirmation that the door was secure from Lindsay. So, off again went Lindsay. He gets airborne, checks-in with the same London Controller, gets the same clearance and all is looking good. Passing FL90, there’s a big bang and it get’s rather cold, draughty and noisy. After Lindsay scrapes himself off the ceiling of Nasty Alpha (no mean feat for Lindsay; it’s a long-way down from the ceiling to the seat for a wee guy like him!), he shines his torch down the back and sees that the door isn’t there any more. So, he calls London and says something like…. "Er, London, National 430, I’ve got a technical problem and I need to return to Southend…. again". “Roger, National 430, make a Left or Right turn to the ‘SND’ and descend to 3500 ft. When you can, let me know the nature of your problem”. Lindsay reads back his clearance and ends with “… it seems that the main cabin door has departed the aircraft”. Rather shocked, well, really shocked, the controller asks “Roger, National 430, are you in control of the aircraft”. To which Lindsay replies, uttering that immortal line “… well, no more than usual”! He lands safely, of course and the door is found the next day in Epping Forrest. Now, the rest is third +-hand and maybe make-believe, but… Apparently Lindsay was back in the crewroom, nervously rolling another ciggie, when in walks the Ops guy and says, “There you-go, Lindsay, it’s all loaded onto ‘KAK, off you go again”! So, for the third time, off goes Lindsay. He calls London, it’s the same controller…. again, only this time the controller says “National 430, Climb FL100, clearance limit is BPK” Lindsay gives a prompt approaching FL100and the Controller responds “National 430, climb FL120, clearance limit is WOBUN”. Approaching FL120, Lindsay drops another hint and the Controller responds “National 430, climb FL140, clearance limit is DTY”. Lindsay then takes the bait and asks “So, what is it with these clearance limits”. The controller replies “Oh, all of us down here are placing bets on how far you’ll get this time”!!! I reckon Lindsay’s “No more than usual” response is still the best ever aviation one-liner."