PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A388 - Moscow UUDD, GA from 400 feet AGL, 8nm out.
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 16:54
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've operated for years in & out of Russia and it's always been Flight Levels given in Metres, and altitudes (actually, heights) referenced to QFE and also given in Metres.

The navigation charts carried onboard typically contain altitude / height conversion tables i.e. to quickly allow one to ascertain the conversion between metric and imperial.
Also, on Lido approach charts (which is what EK & FZ use) they provide the arithmetic correction (i.e. how many Mb's are needed) to convert the QFE (provided by Russian ATC) into QNH for that specific airport (and which is what you set on your Altimeter, i.e. QNH).

Inside your aeroplane you're flying the whole thing as normal, i.e. with reference to QNH and feet.

I myself would make this a risk assessment / risk reduction 'briefing item' and make sure that we both fully understand how to use the conversion tables.

Using the chart below as an example, it would (or should) go something like this:
ATC: "EK388 you're cleared descend 900m QFE"
Have already worked out the relevant QNH (from the ATC provided QFE) and set it on your altimeter, you would then refer to the conversion table for this airport, find out where it says 900m QFE and look across to the left side of the table to find the equivalent number of feet QNH... in this instance that'd be 3580'... and that's what you then set (or as close as you can get to it) in the MCP Altitude Window... you both check & confirm it... and away you go (and, if there's doubt, you confirm the clearance with ATC before you do it).

It's not exactly f'ing rocket science and only gets slightly more burdensome when it's seriously cold (what with 'cold temperature corrections', albeit - in a radar environment - ATC are supposed to take care of that aspect for you).

The following chart shows the sort of conversion table that is commonly used.